Tuesday 27 January 2015

Spite Coding (Asura.Schema)

It's only recently I've realised how much programming I do that is purely done out of spite.

Latest example - Newtonsoft.Json.Schema library being released and it coming with licence restrictions.

This really annoyed me*, and over last weekend, whilst sick and feverish from a chest and sinus infection, I wrote Asura.Schema which covers about 75% of the draft 4 standard for JSON schema. It's still a work in progress and has a few bits to add, (like, you know, primitive constraint checking), but it (almost) does all that I need it to do. I should have the bits of it that I need done in the rest of this week.

Like some kind of delirious grudge fuck, it's afforded me that rare combination of effort spent and a sick sense of enjoyment. I am okay with this; it's like I've exorcised a particular demon by thrashing it out in code.

I think this is my first piece of code I've made public like this.

*: the why is another story - it could well have just caught an edge because I was ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment