I am GOING TO JAPAN soon!
In fact, I'm going in just over a month. I can't wait to be over there, to be immersed in such an alien environment... It's going to be ridiculous. I learned a little Japanese last year when I went on a beginner's language course, and I'm trying to cover the basics again with this massively Eighties video course I've found.
At the moment, it's looking like I'm going to be spending about 5 days in Tokyo. After which I'll move south west and check out various cities and places along the rail routes until reaching Hiroshima where a friend of mine has been teaching English for a while.
For Tokyo, I've already got accomodation sorted for staying in Asakusa for the first few days. I think I should try and move location to the West of the city for the last couple of days there as I want to check out Shinjuku, Roppongi and then Harajuku on the Sunday.
From the next Monday... I've not decided yet.
There are a few things I want to do, such as:
- Visit Kobe for some ridiculous beef
- See Kyoto
- Do the whole cherry-blossom-festival thing
- Poke around Akihabara
- Visit the Studio Ghibli Museum! (Just applied for a ticket)
- See the Tsukiji Fish Market while jetlagged all to hell
- See a castle or two
- Make Okonomiyaki!
- Visit Osaka
- Visit the Peace Park in Hiroshima
- Get dragged to some Karaoke
- Take lots and lots of pictures (hey, turnabout is fair play, right?)
More to follow once I've worked out where I'm going!